Thursday, April 19, 2012

"The Exiles" - Feature Documentary

“The Exiles” was a film that really got my attention in the way it was filmed and portrayed by the people involved on screen. The protagonist was seen in situations that somehow resembled a fiction film. Sometimes I forgot whether I was watching a documentary or a narrative film.  It was as if some of the situations were staged. It might not have been the case entirely or portion of the film was that way. However, it was certainly successful in capturing the emotions with voiceovers. Usually too many voiceovers are suggested to be one of those things to be avoided in film. Yet, it really served it’s purpose with the woman. The audience could sense her emotions even more and feel the struggle she was going through. I did not realize that a lot of Native Americans went through that… they feel like going into the cities to be “better” members of society.  That is the case that they would like to find a better future for their families, it is a similarity to the immigrant experience yet the Native American feels like a stranger in their own land. Which is an interesting thought that came to mind as I watched this. I realized about the discussion that was going on about feeling like a minority within a majority. I have felt one time or another like that, because of my background.  I`m originally from a different country and that is something I come to terms with with time and do not mind it. I can’t imagine feeling like a foreigner/outsider in my own country as some of the people felt in this movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment